Today was hubby’s first day back at work after taking the holidays off and he was traveling today, so we needed to plan for something for lunch and dinner for him. I think we did okay, but next time I’m going to shoot for something a little more exciting.
- Sirloin steak — EVOO, Salt, Pepper
- Fried eggs
- Home-style sautéed potatoes — blanched then sautéed.
- Blanched broccoli
- Beverages: Black coffee, tea, lemon water
Overall grade: B+
Hubs: Preferred a fattier cut of meat like our normal rib eye, and felt the potatoes could have been crisper, but otherwise it was delicious. Especially with the addition of the Cholula sauce.
M: Ate everything except her potatoes. Has never really been a fan of potatoes.
G: Ate everything (including his broccoli!!) except his potatoes. Similarly to M, he has never been a huge fan of potatoes; even mashed potatoes!
S: Ate some steak and potatoes. I don’t think she liked the texture of the broccoli florets.
Lessons: Maybe roast the potatoes instead of pan fry. Might have been crisper, plus would have freed up a burner. Some garlic in the broccoli would have been nice. Should have made another chimichurri or some sort of sauce. Guess I’m a saucy kind of gal! 😉
- Tuna salad on lettuce — tuna in olive oil, mixed with homemade mayonnaise, celery, cilantro and a bit of extra lemon juice.
- Ants on a log for the kids — celery with almond butter topped with raisins
- Hard boiled egg.
- Beverages: Lemon water.
Overall grade: C+
Hubs: Hubby had the same, except for on the road and had an avocado instead of a hard-boiled egg. He said he liked it.
M: Said she liked the tuna salad but didn’t eat much of it. Picked the “ants” off her celery and ate all of that. Ate half an egg.
G: Didn’t touch anything. Tried most of what was on his plate but wasn’t interested. He had a handful of raisins and some almond butter.
S: Picked at a few things but was only really interested in stuffing her cheeks with raisins.
Me: It was okay. I’m not a huge fan of canned tuna to begin with so it wasn’t my favorite recipe. Considering it wasn’t a hit with most of our crowd, I likely won’t make this again unless in a pinch.
Lessons: Add nuts. Needs something else to take some of the “tuna-ness” out of the meal. Capers maybe?
- Prosciutto wrapped frittata muffins — Nom Nom Paleo’s recipe is here, although I had forgotten about doing this tonight so I used all my mushrooms yesterday. So I improvised and used zucchini and carrot instead. I topped it off with some parsley for color.
- Carrot fries for the kids and roasted carrots for the grown-ups — the fries that didn’t get burned were great, however it turns out that in not setting a timer, I let too many of them get burned and so everyone had roasted carrots instead. Ugh. Rookie mistake.
- Salad — Lettuce, tomato, cucumber, pistachios
- Dressing: Mustard, Coconut Aminos, Sherry Vinegar, S&P, EVOO
- Spoonful of almond butter with raisins for the kids.
- Beverages: Lemon water or coconut juice for the kids
Overall grade: A
Hubs: Delicious. Loved the prosciutto! Can you tell he’s a meat lover?
M: Had two frittata muffins, her cucumbers and tomatoes. Left the rest. Hasn’t been interested in lettuce lately. That’s new.
G: This picture says it all.
S: Finished an entire frittata muffin and some cucumbers.
Me: Delicious. Was surprised how well the zucchini/carrot mixture worked out. Definitely a do-again dish.
Lessons: Watch the carrot fries! Or set a timer! They would have been super delicious and a great way to get the kids to eat their carrots.
Good day! No cravings today. I’m out of food in the house though… seems to move pretty quickly when everything comes from the fridge. Gotta go to the store… AGAIN.